1. Food
Elizabeth LaBau

Coconut-Cashew Confessions

By May 21, 2007

Coconut Cashews are my new favorite candy, and I am so excited to share the recipe with you. Roasted cashews are covered with a sweet, crunchy coating of toasted coconut for a distinctive tropical treat. However, I can't talk about this candy without makings two important confessions:

1. This candy was inspired by a favorite treat from Trader Joe's. They used to sell coconut-covered cashews that were so addicting I would swear they were actually cocaine-covered cashews. Unfortunately (or fortunately) my neighborhood store no longer carries them, so I came up with this copycat recipe.

2. The original candy was the cause of one of the more imprudent eating episodes of my adult life. I literally ate an entire bag while driving home from Trader Joe's one day. It may not sound like much, but a full bag of cashews, covered with coconut and sugar and who knows what else, gobbled down in fifteen minutes between driving maneuvers, made me very sick (and remorseful) afterwards.

Unwise as my coconut-cashew spree might have been, this was not my worst candy pig-out. (No, I think that honor belongs to the Great Candy Corn Binge during my eighth Halloween. Suffice it to say, I can no longer eat candy corn.) So now that I've shared my candy secrets, how about you? What candy melts your resolve? What's your candy confession?

Comments

May 21, 2007 at 12:38 pm
(1) Ferne says:

I have two guilty secrets. One is Barton’s Almond Kisses. Last time I looked, you could only get them online. They come in a red black and gold tin meant to look like a chinese tea caddy. They are a dark, chewy toffee with a very dry, roasted almond in the center. When you bite into the toffee, the almond explodes in your mouth. I am salivating as I write. I once had a dog who broke into my Christmas present tin of them and ate the lot!
I’m also partial to soft, sugary jellies. I grew up spending my nickel in the candy store on Chuckles instead of a Hershey bar.

May 21, 2007 at 12:43 pm
(2) Janet says:

Fudge, definitely fudge, fueled by the fact that we have a fudge shop — I mean, I have to taste-test, right :-)

May 21, 2007 at 1:08 pm
(3) Heather says:

Hot Tamales-that cinnamon-flavored candy found at movie theatres. I’d go see a movie just to sit there and pop those in my mouth for a while. :)

May 21, 2007 at 1:41 pm
(4) Rodika says:

Deep, dark, rich, luxurious, sensuous, deeply satusfying…organic dark chocolate works best for me! I like it with dries fruits or nuts, like hazelnuts or almonds. Also with unusual addings, like red pepper or other spices. Yum!

May 21, 2007 at 3:58 pm
(5) victoria says:

As far as stuff that’s available anywhere, Milk Duds anytime. (I love caramel in general). Otherwise, I adore Lindt’s Straciatella truffles.

May 21, 2007 at 4:24 pm
(6) Sandra says:

I adore really soft caramels. The kind with cream swirled in them is excellent. And your recipe would probably kill me, because I find nuts totally addictive, even without the extra yumminess! Cashews and macadamias in particular are deadly. If I have a can lying around, I’ll suck them all down one after another!

May 21, 2007 at 10:58 pm
(7) Jason says:

Chocolate chips (usually Nestle because that’s what we have around). They’re simple, small, and they just keep calling out to me… “Mmm, chocolate…”

May 22, 2007 at 7:33 pm
(8) Molly says:

White chocolate is my favorite, especially a brick of it, which wouldn’t last an evening in my household. I used to love those little Reese’s mini cups, which I still think has a better peanut butter to chocolate ratio than the larger ones.

May 22, 2007 at 7:52 pm
(9) Hillary says:

Well, my number one resolve-busting confection is definitely brownies – just plain old, rich, a bit gooey in the middle, chocolate brownies. But thankfully their physical bulk precludes inhaling in volume… those little, sugar-coated cadbury robin’s eggs, on the other hand… oh, and somehow I once managed to down an entire bag of sweetened-milk-flavored Loaker Quadratini wafer cookies on a train from Venice to Florence. oh dear.

September 9, 2008 at 4:29 pm
(10) Lisamarie says:

Hey guys … check this out ..

Hope it helps! I tried making candied coconut cashews myself it was kind of difficult but well worth the pain! :)

December 26, 2008 at 12:08 pm
(11) Linda says:

Bassett’s Liquorice Allsorts – I once ate a whole bag after a heavy ashtanga yoga class….I love ‘em!!