- 16 oz soft caramels (about 75 caramels)
- 3 tbsp heavy cream
- 3 cups crisped rice cereal (like Rice Krispies)
- 1.5 lbs chocolate or chocolate candy coating
1. Prepare an 8x8 pan by lining it with aluminum foil and spraying the foil with nonstick cooking spray.
2. Unwrap the caramels and place them in a large microwave-safe bowl with the cream. Microwave for a minute and a half, stirring after every 30 seconds to prevent overheating. If the caramels are not melted and smooth after this time, microwave in small bursts, stirring frequently, until it is fluid and well-mixed.
3. Add the crisped rice cereal to the melted caramel and stir until well-combined. Scrape the mixture into the prepared pan and pat it into an even layer. Allow to cool at room temperature until completely set, about 1 hour.
4. Spray a large knife with nonstick cooking spray. Remove the candy from the pan using the foil as handles, and flip it upside down on your cutting surface. Peel the foil from the bottom, and use the knife to cut the candy into small squares or bars.
5. Melt the chocolate or chocolate coating in a medium bowl in the microwave, stirring after every 30 seconds to prevent overheating. Using a fork, dip each square in the melted chocolate, and after you remove it from the chocolate, drag the bottom on the lip of the bowl to remove excess chocolate. Place the dipped squares on a foil-covered baking sheet.
6. Once all the squares have been dipped, refrigerate the sheet to set the chocolate, for about 20 minutes. Once the chocolate is set, the Caramel Crunch Bars are ready to be enjoyed. Store Caramel Crunch Bars in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to two weeks, and allow to come to room temperature to serve, as the caramel will be too hard straight from the refrigerator.