Try using this recipe to make Dulce de Leche Pecan Bites!
Cook Time: 5 hours
Total Time: 5 hours
- 1 can (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk
1. Place the can of condensed milk in a large saucepan that extends at least several inches over the top of the can. Fill the saucepan with water, being sure to cover the top of the milk can completely.
2. Place the saucepan over medium heat and allow it to boil for four to eight hours. Four hours will produce a caramel-like sauce, while eight hours will give you a candy that's slightly sticky, but firm enough to cut. Adjust the time depending on your preferences and the type of dulce de leche you desire.
3.As the dulce de leche cooks, check the water level every 30 minutes, and add additional water when necessary to ensure that the can is always fully covered with water. It is very important that the can remain immersed in water, otherwise it could rupture and cause damage or injury.
4. After eight hours of continuous simmering/boiling, carefully remove the can from the heat. Allow it to cool at room temperature, then refrigerate until chilled.
5. Once the can is completely cool, open both ends and gently push out the solidified caramel. Using a hot, sharp knife, slice the caramel cylinder into rounds, and cut each round into 6 wedges. This candy is best served in individual candy papers, since it is sticky and a bit soft.
Cooking variations: You can make dulce de leche in a crockpot! Place the can of sweetened condensed milk in a crock pot and cover with water so that the can is submerged. Place a lid over the slow cooker, and cook the can on low for 8-10 hours. (I usually do this overnight.) This method has the great advantage that you don't have to worry about the water evaporating as it cooks.