Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 20 minutes
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1-3/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup light corn syrup
- 1 cup condensed milk
- 1/3 cup butter
- 3 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds (optional)
1. Prepare an 8-inch square baking pan by lining it with aluminum foil and spraying the foil with nonstick cooking spray.
2. Combine the corn syrup, sugar, milk, cream, and butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Stir continually with a wooden spoon until completely smooth.
3. Heat the mixture to 225 degrees (thread stage) and stir in the chopped chocolate. Continue heating the candy until it reaches 245 degrees.
4. Remove from the heat and stir in the vanilla and salt. Once well-combined, pour the caramel into the prepared pan. If desired, sprinkle the top with slivered almonds and press gently to affix them.
5. Allow the caramel to cool at room temperature overnight. When set, cut into small squares and serve. To store or give as a gift, wrap the squares in cellophane or waxed paper and store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.