Prep Time: 40 minutes
Total Time: 40 minutes
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 2/3 cup cream
- 2/3 cup water
- 1/8 tsp cream of tartar
- 6 tbsp butter, cut into small pieces
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1. Prepare two large baking sheets by lining them with aluminum foil and spraying the foil with cooking spray.
2. Combine the sugar, cream and water in a large saucepan over medium heat and stir until the sugar dissolves.
3. Add the cream of tartar and boil the mixture until it reaches 240 degrees (soft-ball stage). Add the butter and continue boiling until the mixture reaches 280 degrees (soft-crack stage).
4. Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the vanilla extract.
5. Using a very small teaspoon, carefully drop spoonfuls of the hot candy onto the prepared baking sheets. It is important to work quickly before the candy begins to set. The drops will spread, so leave a bit of space in between your spoonfuls. Continue forming small butterscotch drops on the prepared sheets until you run out of candy or it becomes too hard to work with.
5.Allow the drops to set at room temperature, then lift them off the baking sheet. Serve immediately, or place them in an airtight container and store at room temperature for up to two weeks.