Prep Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 10 minutes
Yield: 24 chocolate-dipped pretzels
- 12 oz (2 cups) chopped semi-sweet chocolate or chocolate chips
- 1 tbsp shortening (optional)
- 24 pretzel rods or large pretzel twists
- Assorted sprinkles, small candies, or crushed nuts (optional)
1. Prepare a baking sheet by lining it with waxed paper or parchment.
2. Place the chopped chocolate in a microwave-safe bowl and microwave in 30-second intervals, stirring after every 30 seconds. If you are using chocolate chips, consider adding a tablespoon of shortening to help thin out the chocolate--chocolate chips tend to be thicker when melted. When chocolate gets overheated it thickens and becomes unworkable, so watch your chocolate carefully during the melting process. Take it out of the microwave when there are still a few unmelted bits remaining, and stir until the final chunks melt.
3. If dipping pretzel rods, hold a rod by one end and dip it in the chocolate, leaving an inch or two uncovered. If you are dipping pretzel twists, drop the whole pretzel in the chocolate and submerge it slightly. Use a fork to pull the pretzel out of the chocolate. Let the excess drip back into the bowl, then place it on the prepared baking sheet. If want to top the pretzels with sprinkles, nuts, or candies, sprinkle them on when the chocolate is still wet. Repeat with remaining chocolate and pretzels.
4. Place the pretzels in the refrigerator for about 15 minutes to set the chocolate.Chocolate-Covered Pretzels will keep for up to 2 weeks in an airtight container.
Note: These chocolate on these pretzels will start to get soft if left at warm room temperature, so during warm periods, try storing them in the refrigerator. If you want your Chocolate-Covered Pretzels to remain shiny and hard at warm room temperature, consider either using chocolate candy coating instead, or tempering your chocolate. You can learn how to temper chocolate here.
More Chocolate-Dipped Goodies
- Chocolate-Dipped Cookies
- Chocolate-Dipped Marshmallows
- Chocolate-Dipped White Fudge
- Chocolate-Dipped Honeycomb
- Chocolate-Dipped Mango
- Chocolate-Dipped Peeps
- Chocolate-Dipped Apricots
- Chocolate-Covered Potato Chips
- Chocolate-Covered Cherries
- Chocolate-Covered Strawberries