Prep Time: 45 minutes
Total Time: 45 minutes
- 8 oz bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 8 oz white chocolate, chopped
- Zest of 4 lemons
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- ¼ tsp lemon oil OR ½ tsp lemon extract
- Yellow candy food coloring (optional)
1. Prepare a baking sheet by lining it with aluminum foil and smoothing the foil.
2. Candy the lemon zest. Place 1 cup of water and 1 cup of sugar in a medium saucepan and bring to a boil. Add the zest and cook, stirring occasionally, for 20 minutes, until the water is yellowish and the zest is translucent. Drain the water and spread the candied zest on wax paper to dry for a few minutes. Coarsely chop the zest or snip with kitchen shears.
3. Melt the bittersweet chocolate in the microwave or over a double boiler, and pour on the baking sheet. Using a spatula, spread the chocolate in a thin layer and place in the refrigerator to set.
4. Melt the white chocolate in the microwave or over a double boiler, stir in the lemon oil or extract, and add a few drops of yellow candy food coloring, if desired. Pour the white chocolate on top of the dark chocolate, smoothing in a thin layer.
5. While the top layer is still wet, sprinkle on the chopped lemon zest and press gently into the chocolate. Place the tray in the refrigerator to set.
6. Once set, break into irregular pieces and serve.
Note: If you are planning on having this candy at room temperature for long periods of time, you will want to temper the chocolate to make it temperature-stable.