- 6 oz unsweetened chocolate
- 8 oz cream cheese, softened to room temperature
- 4 cups (1 lb) powdered sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup toffee bits or chopped toffee bars
1. Prepare a 9x9 pan by lining it with aluminum foil and spraying the foil with nonstick cooking spray.
2. Chop the unsweetened chocolate and place it in a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave it until melted, stirring after every 30 seconds to prevent overheating.
3. Meanwhile, place the room temperature cream cheese in the bowl of a large stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment. (Alternately, you could use a large bowl and a hand mixer.) Beat the cream cheese until it is creamy and smooth.
4. Once the chocolate is melted, pour it into the cream cheese and beat until combined. Stop the mixer and scrape down the sides. Add the powdered sugar, vanilla, and salt, and start the mixer on low. Once all the sugar is mixed in, stop the mixer again and scrape it down, and run it once more until all ingredients are well-incorporated and there are no dry patches.
5. Scrape the fudge into the prepared pan and smooth it into an even layer. Scatter the toffee in a thick layer on top and press it firmly into the fudge.
6. Refrigerate the fudge to set it, about 90 minutes. Once set, remove the fudge from the pan using the foil as handles. Cut it into small one-inch pieces to serve. For optimal taste and texture, serve this fudge at room temperature. It will keep in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to a week, but after several days the toffee will start to get soft and sticky, so I recommend eating it before then!