Yield: 12 pretzel rods
- 12 oz white candy coating or white chocolate chips
- 1/4-1/2 tsp peppermint oil (optional)
- 12 large pretzel rods
- 1 cup red sugar sprinkles
- 3-4 large white chocolate bars
- 1/4 cup red candy coating
1. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil or wax paper. Melt the candy coating or white chocolate chips in a bowl in the microwave, stirring after every 30 seconds to prevent overheating.
2. Once the coating is melted and smooth, dip a pretzel rod in the coating. Hold it by one end and dip it into the coating, then use a spoon to pour coating over the parts of the pretzel rod that aren't submerged, leaving just an inch at the end uncovered. Don't worry if the coating is lumpy or uneven for now.
3. Once the pretzel rod is coated, lift it from the bowl and tap it against the lip of the bowl to let the excess coating drip back down. This will smooth out the coating and make it nice and even. Place the pretzel rod on the baking sheet and repeat until all of the pretzels are dipped. Let the coating set completely.
4. Re-warm the remaining white chocolate and pour it into a paper cone or plastic bag with a hole cut in the corner. Pipe diagonal lines across the front of one of the pretzel rods, then while the chocolate is still wet, sprinkle the red sprinkles on top. Repeat until all of the pretzel rods have sparkling red stripes.
5. To make the North Pole signs, cut the white chocolate bars into thin rectangles. Melt the red candy coating and pour it into a small paper cone. (This is one instance where it will be very difficult to use a plastic bag instead of a paper cone. A pastry bag with a small round tip is a fine substitute, however.) Write your message on the white chocolate in red candy. Suggestions include "North Pole" or "Santa's Village.")
6. Affix the signs to the front of the pretzel rods using a little more candy coating as glue. Let the coating set completely.
7. Store North Pole Pretzel Rods in an airtight container at room temperature for up to two weeks.Click Here to View All Christmas Candy Recipes!