Prep Time: 1 hour, 25 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour, 25 minutes
- 3.5 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup light corn syrup
- 1.25 cups egg nog
- 4 ounces (1 stick) butter, cut into small pieces
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
1. Prepare an 8x8 pan by lining it with aluminum foil and spraying the foil with nonstick cooking spray.
2. Combine the sugar, corn syrup, eggnog, salt, and butter in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Stir constantly until the sugar dissolves. Insert a candy thermometer and continue to cook the candy, stirring occasionally, until it reaches 240 degrees.
3. Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the vanilla, nutmeg and cinnamon. Allow the candy to sit and cool at room temperature until it is lukewarm, about 45 minutes.
4. Once the candy is barely warm to the touch, place it in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. (Candy can be beaten by hand or with a hand-held mixer, but the process will take two or three times as long). Beat the candy until the fudge becomes thick and creamy and loses its shine. Do not overbeat, or the fudge will be grainy.
5. Pour and scrape the fudge into the prepared pan, and smooth it into an even layer. Allow the fudge to set at room temperature or in the refrigerator. Once set, cut it into small squares and serve at room temperature. Store remaining fudge in an airtight container or bag at room temperature for up to a week, or refrigerated for 2-3 weeks.