To crush the wafers, you can either use a blender or food processor, or place them in a large Ziploc bag and crush them with a rolling pin. Be sure that the cookies are in small crumbs, not large chunks. This recipe yields approximately 4 dozen candies.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 15 minutes
- 2.75 cups vanilla wafer crumbs (about 1 large box)
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- 3 cups powdered sugar, divided
- 1/4 cup thawed orange juice concentrate
- 2 tbsp light corn syrup
- zest of one orange
- 1 cup finely chopped nuts
- 1.5 tbsp orange juice
- 1.5 cups finely shredded sweetened coconut
1.In a large bowl, mix together the wafer crumbs, melted butter, 2 cups of the powdered sugar, orange zest, corn syrup, orange juice concentrate, and chopped nuts. Stir until the mixture is well-combined. If it is too soft to roll into balls, refrigerate for 30 minutes or until firm enough to shape.
2. Using a teaspoon, roll the candy into small balls between your palms and place them on a baking sheet covered with foil.
3. In a small bowl, blend together the remaining 1 cup of powdered sugar and the orange juice with a handheld electric mixer. It should be fluid but not too runny; adjust the amount of sugar or juice as necessary to get a good dipping consistency.
4. Dip a ball in the sugar-juice mixture until it is well-coated, then roll it in the shredded coconut. Replace the ball on the baking sheet and repeat with remaining candy.
5. Refrigerate the balls to set them, then store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator.