Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
- 1.5 cups brown sugar
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/3 cup marshmallow cream
- 2 tsp maple extract
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1 cup halved or chopped nuts (optional)
1. Prepare by placing a large mixing bowl and beaters in the freezer to chill.
2. Combine the sugar, butter and water in a large saucepan over medium heat. Stir to dissolve butter and sugar.
3. Once the mixture reaches around 200 degrees, slowly stream in the cream. Continue to heat until it reaches 240 degrees, and then remove from heat.
4. Pour the candy in the cold bowl and allow to sit until it is room temperature. To speed the process, you can place it in the refrigerator, checking it every 5-10 minutes until it is lukewarm.
5. Mix on low and slowly add in the marshmallow cream and extract, stopping to spoon the cream into the mixer if necessary.
6. Gradually add 1/2 cup powdered sugar. If the candy is still quite sticky, add the remaining sugar. Beat for an additional 5 minutes, until it is no longer sticky and somewhat stiff.
7. Place the candy in the refrigerator to chill for 20 minutes. Roll into balls ¾ inch in diameter, and top the balls with half of a walnut or pecan. Alternately, the balls can be rolled in finely chopped nuts.
8. Chill for another 20 minutes, or until completely set. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.