Don't miss the video that goes along with this recipe showing how to make peppermint patties!
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
Yield: about 3 dozen Peppermint Patties
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1.5 tbsp softened butter
- 2 tsp peppermint extract
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp cream
- 8 ounces (about 1-1/3 cup) dark chocolate, chopped
- 1 tbsp vegetable shortening
1.Prepare a cookie by lining it with aluminum foil or waxed paper.
2. In a mixed fitted with a paddle attachment, beat together the sugar, butter, extracts, and cream on low speed. Once combined, raise speed to medium-high and beat for an additional 30-60 seconds until the mixture holds together very well and is creamy, not powdery. It should have the texture of Play-Doh--smooth but not sticky. If the candy seems too sticky, add more powdered sugar as necessary until it's easy to work with.
3. If your kitchen is warm or your candy is too soft to roll, place it in the refrigerator to set for about 20 minutes.
4. Using a teaspoon, roll the candy into small balls and flatten them on the waxed paper with the palm of your hand. Repeat for remaining candies.
5. Place in the refrigerator to chill for 20 minutes.
6. Melt the chopped chocolate and the shortening in the microwave or over a double boiler, and stir until fully incorporated.
7. Using dipping tools or two dinner forks, dip the patties into the chocolate one by one. Drag them across the lip of the bowl to remove any excess chocolate, and replace them on the cookie sheet. Once all chocolates are dipped, put them in the refrigerator until the chocolate is set.
Holiday variation: To make a lovely Christmas presentation, try using food coloring to dye some centers red and some green.