- 4 ripe apples
- 4 wooden skewers
- 14 ounces (1 bag) soft caramel candy
- 2 tbsp water
- 10 ounces semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 2 tbsp shortening
- 2 cups chopped candy bars, chocolate, or nuts
1. Prepare a baking sheet by lining it with aluminum foil and spraying the foil with nonstick cooking spray.
2. Wash and dry the apples carefully. Remove the stems, and stick the skewers firmly in the stem ends.
3. Place the unwrapped caramels and the water in a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave for 1 minute, then stir, then microwave for and additional minute or until completely melted. The caramel should be smooth and liquid by the end.
4. Hold an apple by the skewer and dip it in the caramel, tilting the bowl at an angle and rotating the apple to cover it completely with a smooth, even layer. Bring it out of the caramel and twirl it upside down to remove excess, then set it on the prepared baking sheet. Repeat with remaining apples.
5. Place the caramel-covered apples in the refrigerator to set for at least 30 minutes.
6. Combine the chocolate and the shortening in a microwave-safe bowl and microwave until melted, stirring every 45 seconds.
7. Dip the caramel-covered apple in the chocolate. If necessary, spoon some chocolate over the top to ensure the apple is completely covered with chocolate. While the chocolate is still wet, dip the bottom half in the chopped candy bars and roll until the bottom half is covered. Place back on the baking sheet and repeat with remaining apples.
8. Chill apples in refrigerator until completely set, about 45 minutes. Always store apples in the refrigerator.