Prep Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 20 minutes
- 1/2 cup light corn syrup
- 12 large marshmallows
- 1.75 cups shredded sweetened coconut
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp coconut extract/flavoring
- 3/4 cup toasted chopped macadamia nuts, divided
- 8 ounces (about 1.25 c) chopped semi-sweet chocolate or chocolate chips
1. Place the marshmallows and corn syrup in a large microwave-safe bowl. Microwave until the marshmallows melted, about one and a half minutes.
2. Stir the mixture until it is smooth and free of lumps of marshmallow. Add the coconut, vanilla, optional coconut extract, and 1/2 cup of macadamia nuts, and stir until the candy is homogenous.
3. Cover the bowl with cling wrap and place it in the refrigerator to chill for 10 minutes.
4. While the mixture is cooling, melt the chocolate for dipping. Place the chopped chocolate or chocolate chips in a microwave-safe bowl and microwave until the chocolate is melted, stirring after every 45 seconds to prevent overheating. Cover a baking sheet with foil, and place the baking sheet and bowl of melted chocolate next to each other on your workstation.
5. Once the candy is cool enough to handle, remove it from the refrigerator. Spray your hands with nonstick cooking spray, and scoop up a walnut-sized spoonful of candy. Roll it between your hands until it is round, then place it on the prepared baking sheet. Repeat until you have shaped all the candy and formed about two dozen balls.
6. Once all of the centers are formed, begin dipping them in the melted chocolate. Using a fork, dunk one center into the chocolate. Remove the ball from the chocolate and drag the bottom of the fork against the lip of the bowl to remove excess chocolate. Place the dipped candy onto the prepared foil-covered baking sheet and repeat with remaining centers and chocolate.
7. While the chocolate is still wet, sprinkle the tops of the candies with the remaining chopped nuts.
8. Place the candies in the refrigerator to set the chocolate, about 30 minutes. Once set, the candies can be served right away or stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to a week.