Cacao nibs are the roasted, chopped bits of cacao seeds that are the basis of chocolate. They have a strong chocolate aroma and taste, but are not naturally sweet. I think they add a great chocolate flavor and crunch to this candy, but you can omit them if you don’t have them on hand. You can find cacao nibs at some gourmet food or baking stores in the chocolate section.
- 3/4 cup shelled roasted pistachios
- 3/4 cup whole dates
- 1/3 cup cacao nibs
- 6 oz (1 cup) white chocolate, finely chopped, or chips
1. Prepare a baking sheet by lining it with aluminum foil.
2. Place the white chocolate in a microwave-safe bowl and microwave until melted, stirring after every 30 seconds to prevent overheating. Once the chocolate is melted and smooth, set it aside to start cooling. Stir it every few minutes until it begins to thicken, about 10 minutes.
3. While the chocolate is cooling, prepare the nuts and dates. Pit the dates, and coarsely chop them and place them in a bowl. Coarsely chop the pistachios and add them to the dates. Add the cacao nibs, and stir all the ingredients together, taking care to break up the clumps of dates.
4. Once the white chocolate has cooled and started to thicken, pour it into the bowl with the fruit and nuts. Stir until they are evenly coated with white chocolate.
5. Using a teaspoon or a small candy scoop, scoop spoonfuls of the candy onto the prepared baking sheet.
6. Refrigerate until the clusters are set, about 30 minutes.
7. Store Date-Pistachio Clusters in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to two weeks.