Prep Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 10 minutes
- 2-1/4 cups sugar
- 3/4 c evaporated milk
- 1-1/3 cups chocolate chips
- 1 (4 oz) stick butter
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- ½ tsp coconut extract
- 15 toasted coconut or regular large marshmallows, chopped in quarters
- ½ cup coconut
1. Prepare an 8x8 pan by lining it with aluminum foil and spraying the foil with nonstick cooking spray.
2. To toast the coconut, heat the oven to 325 degrees. Place the coconut in a pie tin or small baking pan, and toast it in the oven until golden brown. The secret to good toasted coconut is consistent browning, so be sure to stir it every 2 minutes until it is an even, light golden color. It will probably take 8-10 minutes, but monitor your coconut carefully. Once toasted, remove from the oven and set aside.
3. Combine the sugar and evaporated milk in a large heavy-bottomed pan. Bring to a boil and stir, boiling continuously, for 6 minutes.
4. After six minutes, remove from the heat and immediately stir in the chips, butter, vanilla extract and coconut extract.
5. Quickly pour approximately half of the fudge into the prepared pan. Sprinkle the chopped marshmallows on top of the fudge, and press down slightly. Pour the remaining fudge over the marshmallows and smooth the top. Sprinkle the top with the toasted coconut and gently press down to set it in the fudge.
6. Place the fudge in the refrigerator to set, about 2 hours, or allow it to set overnight at room temperature. Once set, cut into 1-inch squares and serve at room temperature.