Yield: 24 Mummy Pretzel Rods
- 12 oz chopped semi-sweet chocolate (about 2 cups)
- 2 dozen pretzel rods or large pretzel twists
- 2 cups chopped white chocolate or white chocolate chips
1. Prepare a baking sheet by lining it with aluminum foil and set aside for now.
2. Place the chopped semi-sweet chocolate in a microwave-safe bowl and microwave it in 30-second intervals, stirring after every 30 seconds to prevent overheating. Stir until the chocolate is completely melted and smooth. If you are using chocolate chips, they do not melt as evenly as chocolate bars and your mixture might be quite thick. If this is the case, add a tablespoon of shortening to thin out your chocolate and make it easier to dip.
3. Once the chocolate is melted, hold a pretzel rod by one end and dip it into the chocolate. Use a spoon to pour the chocolate over the pretzel rod until it is almost entirely covered, and there is only an inch or two at the bottom that is not covered with chocolate.
4. Tap the end of the pretzel against the lip of the bowl to let the excess chocolate drip back down into the bowl.
5. Place the dipped pretzel rod on the foil-covered baking sheet, and repeat until all of the pretzels have been covered with chocolate.
6. Refrigerate the tray to set the chocolate while you prepare the white chocolate. Place it in a microwave-safe bowl and microwave it in 30-second intervals until it is completely melted. Again, if you are using chips, you will probably want to add a spoonful of shortening to make it thinner and easier to work with.
7. Once the white chocolate is completely melted and smooth, scrape it into a large zip-top plastic bag. Cut a small hole in one corner to form a makeshift piping bag.
8. Using the white chocolate, pipe two dots near the top of each pretzel rod for the eyes. Once all the mummies have eyes, take the white chocolate and drizzle it in a criss-cross pattern over each pretzel rod to represent the bandages, leaving space around the eyes and stopping where the chocolate layer stops.
9. As a final touch, re-warm the remaining semi-sweet chocolate and dip a toothpick in the chocolate and give each mummy brown pupils in their eyes.
10. Once the chocolate is completely set, these Mummy Pretzel Rods are ready to be enjoyed. They can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for up to two weeks.