Prep Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 10 minutes
- 1-3/4 cups miniature marshmallows
- 1-1/3 cups (8 ounces) chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup crisped rice cereal
- 24 pieces black licorice, string or regular
- 1/2 cup miniature candies, like red hots or mini M&Ms
1. Prepare a baking sheet by lining it with aluminum foil.
2. If you have black string licorice, cut each piece into segments about 1.5-inches long. If you have regular black licorice, cut it into quarters lengthwise, then cut the long strips into small 1.5-inch segments.
3. Arrange the black licorice segments in groups of 8 on the baking sheet, forming a starburst pattern to represent the spider’s legs. The body will cover the center portion of the starburst, so don’t worry about exact placement.
4. Place the chocolate chips in a large microwave-safe bowl and microwave them until melted, stirring after every minute to prevent overheating.
5. Add the marshmallows and the crisped rice cereal to the chocolate, and stir until the candy is well-mixed.
6. Using a teaspoon, drop small clumps of the candy onto the prepared leg clusters, making sure that the spider’s body is centered in the middle of the legs.
7. While the chocolate is still wet, add two small candies to represent the spider’s eyes.
8. Place the tray of spiders in the refrigerator to set the chocolate, about 30 minutes. Serve at room temperature, and store the spiders in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to a week.