I make this recipe using Kix (or any other round cereal) so that the final product closely resembles dog kibble. However, it is equally delicious using cereals like Chex or Crispix.
- 1/2 cup peanut butter
- 1/4 cup (2 oz, or 4 tbsp) butter
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 6 cups Kix cereal (or similar cereal)
- 1 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
1. In a microwave-safe bowl, combine the chocolate chips, peanut butter, and butter. Microwave for one minute, then stir well to blend all the ingredients. Stir in the vanilla extract.
2. Pour the cereal into a large bowl, then pour the melted chocolate-peanut mixture on top of the cereal. Stir well until the cereal is entirely covered with chocolate.
3. In a small bowl, mix together the cocoa powder and the powdered sugar. Place half of the dry ingredients in a large, gallon-sized Ziploc bag.
4. Pour the chocolate-covered cereal into the bag, and sprinkle the remaining dry ingredients on top of the cereal. Seal the bag and shake it to coat all of the cereal pieces with the cocoa mixture. Make sure to really massage the cereal with your hands to break up any clumps and cover all the pieces.
5. Pour the coated cereal onto a large baking tray. If any of the pieces are still a little sticky, sprinkle them with additional powdered sugar or cocoa.
6. Store Kibble Candy in an airtight container at room temperature for up to a week.