Yield: about 40 small potatoes
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 2.5 cups shredded sweetened coconut
- 2 TB cinnamon
- 1 TB granulated sugar
- 1 TB cocoa powder
1. In a large electric mixer bowl, cream together the vanilla, butter and cream cheese until smooth.
2. Sift in 1/3 of the powdered sugar and turn the mixer on the low setting (so the sugar does not fly out of the mixing bowl).
3. Add the remaining powdered sugar in two batches, then turn the mixer up and beat until smooth.
4. With the mixer on low, slowly add in the shredded coconut. If the candy is too stiff for your mixer, you can do this step by hand.
5. Place the candy in the refrigerator to chill for 10 minutes.
6. Roll the candy into irregular potato shapes, and place on cookie sheets lined with foil. Put the candy back in the fridge to chill for another 10 minutes.
7. In a shallow pie tin, stir together the cinnamon, granulated sugar and cocoa powder. Roll each potato in the mixture until well coated, and place back on the foil-lined baking sheet.
8. Coconut Potatoes Candy can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for several days. Serve slightly chilled so they retain their shape.Click Here to View All St. Patrick's Day Candy Recipes!