Inside-Out S’mores are a fun variation of the traditional S’mores recipe. Graham crackers and homemade marshmallows make a bite-sized sandwich that’s encased in dark chocolate.
Inside-Out S’mores are a great use for excess homemade marshmallows. You can make them larger if you desire, but I love them small and bite-sized. You can also use storebought marshmallows, but since they are not square, the appearance (not to mention the taste!) will be different. This recipe makes 2 dozen 1-inch candies.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 20 minutes
- 7 sheets of graham crackers
- 12 ounces dark chocolate candy coating
- 1/2 lb (about one-third batch) homemade marshmallows, OR 12 large marshmallows
1. Prepare a baking sheet by lining it with aluminum foil.
2. Crumble one of the graham cracker sheets into small crumbs using your hands, a food processor, or a large knife. Carefully break apart the remaining sheets: first in half, then in quarters, following the scored lines. Cut each quarter into half to produce a 1-inch square. Each sheet should produce 8 squares, for a total of 48 small squares.
3. If using homemade marshmallows, use the graham squares as a guide to cut the marshmallows into the same sized squares. You want 24 marshmallow squares total. If using storebought marshmallows, cut each marshmallow in half to produce a round approximately ½” thick.
4. Melt the chocolate coating in a microwave-safe bowl, stirring after every minute. Using a spoon or toothpick, smear a small amount of chocolate on a graham cracker, then place the marshmallow on top. Smear another dab of chocolate on top of the marshmallow, then press on the top graham cracker. Set aside to let the chocolate harden, and repeat with remaining grahams and marshmallows.
5. Once your graham and marshmallow sandwiches are assembled and stuck together with chocolate, begin to dip them in the chocolate. Using dipping tools or two forks, fully submerge them in the chocolate, then bring them up and drag them against the lip of the bowl to remove excess chocolate. Place the dipped candies on the prepared baking sheet and while the chocolate is still wet, sprinkle the top with the crushed graham crackers. Repeat with remaining candies, until all are dipped and sprinkled.
6. Allow the candies to set at room temperature before serving. Store candies in an airtight container in a dry, cool location for up to a week.