This recipe, like many traditional marzipan recipes, calls for a raw egg white. If eating raw eggs is a concern, I suggest you substitute liquid pasteurized egg whites, or reconstituted powdered egg whites instead.
Yield: 36 marzipan bites
- 10 oz shelled pistachios, preferably raw
- 7 oz (1-3/4 cups) powdered sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt, if using raw or unsalted pistachios
- 1 egg white, lightly beaten
- Green food coloring, optional
- 12 oz chocolate or chocolate candy coating
1. Raw pistachios will give you the most vibrant green color, so use those if you can find them. They can be difficult to track down, however, so you can use toasted pistachios if that is what's available. Whichever type you choose, begin by placing your pistachios in the bowl of a food processor and pulsing them until they are finely ground. Remove a few tablespoons of ground nuts to use as decoration later.
2. Add the powdered sugar, and if your pistachios are unsalted, the salt. Process until everything is a very fine powder.
3. Add a quarter of the raw egg, and pulse the processor until it's completely incorporated. Add a little more of the egg, and pulse again. Keep adding the egg white, a little at a time, until the marzipan comes together in a clump around the food processor. It should have a texture similar to Play-Doh. You might not need to use the whole egg white, so go slowly in your addition of the white so that you don't end up with marzipan that is too sticky.
4. If you want to increase the green color of your marzipan, add a drop or two of green food coloring and knead it in until the color is even.
5. Pinch off small balls of marzipan and roll them between your palms until they are round, then place them on a baking sheet lined with foil or waxed paper. Refrigerate them for 10 minutes.
6. While the pistachio marzipan balls are chilling, melt the chocolate or candy coating in the microwave until smooth or fluid.
7. Use forks or dipping tools to dip a marzipan ball into the melted chocolate, then place the dipped candy back on the baking sheet. While the chocolate is still wet, sprinkle the top with a bit of the reserved chopped nuts. Repeat until all of the pistachio marzipan balls are dipped.
8. Refrigerate the tray for 10 minutes to set the chocolate, then your Pistachio Marzipan is ready to eat! Store dipped candies in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to a week.Click Here to View All St. Patrick's Day Recipes