- 7 ounces (1 roll) marzipan
- 3 tbsp chopped dried cherries
- 6 ounces semi-sweet chocolate
- 1 tbsp shortening
- powdered sugar, for dusting
1. Dust a cutting board with powdered sugar, and place the unwrapped marzipan on the surface. Dust your hands with powdered sugar, and slightly flatten the marzipan.
2. Sprinkle the chopped cherries over the surface, and begin to knead them into the marzipan with your hands. Use more powdered sugar as necessary to prevent the marzipan from becoming too sticky.
3. Once the cherries are evenly incorporated into the marzipan, use a rolling pin to roll it out about ¼-inch thick.
4. Using a sharp knife, cut the marzipan into triangles, and place them on a baking sheet covered with foil. Refrigerate the slices for 30 minutes, until they are firm enough to dip.
5. Melt the chocolate with the shortening in the microwave. Holding one edge of a cherry marzipan wedge, dip most of the wedge in the chocolate. Drag the wedge on the lip of the bowl to remove any excess chocolate, and place it back on the prepared baking sheet. Repeat with remaining wedges and return them to the refrigerator to set, about 15 minutes.
6. Serve the candy at room temperature, and store for up to three weeks in an airtight container in the refrigerator.