Prep Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 20 minutes
- 7 ounces (1 roll) marzipan
- 3 tbsp chopped candied orange peel, plus extra for decoration
- 6 ounces semi-sweet chocolate
- 1 tbsp shortening
- powdered sugar, for dusting
1. Dust a cutting board with powdered sugar, and place the unwrapped marzipan on the surface. Dust your hands with powdered sugar, and slightly flatten the marzipan.
2. Sprinkle the chopped candied rind or orange zest over the surface, and begin to knead it into the marzipan with your hands. Use more powdered sugar as necessary to prevent the marzipan from becoming too sticky.
3. Once the rind is evenly incorporated into the marzipan, use a rolling pin to roll it out about 1/2-inch thick.
4. Using a sharp knife, cut the marzipan into 1-inch squares, and place them on a baking sheet covered with foil. Refrigerate the squares for 30 minutes, until they are firm enough to dip.
5. Melt the chocolate with the shortening in the microwave. Using a fork or dipping tools, submerge the square in chocolate completely. Drag the candy on the lip of the bowl to remove any excess chocolate, and place it back on the prepared baking sheet. While the chocolate is still wet, top with a sliver of candied orange rind or orange zest. Repeat with remaining squares and return them to the refrigerator to set, about 15 minutes.
6. Serve the candy at room temperature, and store for up to three weeks in an airtight container in the refrigerator.