Almond paste can be found in the baking section of many large grocery stores. You can also use this recipe to make your own almond paste. You will need a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment for this recipe.
Yield: about 3 lbs marzipan
- 1 lb almond paste
- 1 lb 12 oz (about 7 cups) powdered sugar
- 4 ounces (1/3 cup) light corn syrup
- 3 tbsp water
- food coloring, if desired
1. Break the almond paste up into small chunks and put them in the bowl of the stand mixer. Add the powdered sugar and turn the mixer onto the lowest speed. Mix the almond paste and the powdered sugar until the mixture is sandy and there are no large bits of almond paste left. This might take 5 or 10 minutes. Stop the mixer periodically to scrape the sides and bottom of the bowl.
2. Once the paste and the sugar are well-mixed and a sandy texture, stop the mixer and add the corn syrup, the water, and any food coloring you want to use. If you want to color your marzipan several different colors, you can always knead in the food coloring at a later point. Immediately turn the mixer back on and mix until the liquids are incorporated.
3. Once all of the ingredients are combined and the marzipan is a homogenous texture, stop the mixer and scrape down the sides of the bowl. Form the marzipan into a ball and wrap it tightly in cling wrap. Refrigerate the marzipan for 24 hours to allow it to achieve the proper texture before use.
4. To roll out this marzipan, dust your work station with powdered sugar or cornstarch. Sprinkle the top of the marzipan with the starch, and use a rolling pin to roll the marzipan into a thin even circle about 1/8-inch thick. Marzipan is naturally a little softer than fondant, so if you leave it at room temperature for long periods or knead it excessively, you might find it needs to be refrigerated before it is firm enough to be rolled out. For help in covering cakes with fondant or marzipan, see this photo tutorial showing how to cover a cake with fondant. (Although the tutorial uses fondant, the instructions are the same for marzipan.)
5. Store Rolled Marzipan tightly wrapped in cling wrap in the refrigerator for up to a month.