I love the combination of almonds and chocolate, but you can experiment with this recipe and try adding different nuts, or dried fruits like cranberries or cherries.
- 2 egg whites, room temperature
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 1.5 cups heavy cream
- 1/4 tsp almond extract
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup toasted almonds, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup finely chopped bittersweet chocolate
1.Combine the cream with the almond and vanilla extracts in a medium bowl, and beat the cream until it is thick and holds peaks. Place the whipped cream in the refrigerator while you prepare the rest of the recipe.
2. Place the egg whites in a large clean bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a whisk attachment. Alternately, you can place the egg whites in a large bowl and use a hand mixer fitted with whisks. Beat the egg whites until soft peaks form.
3. While the egg whites are beating, combine the honey, sugar, and water in a small saucepan over medium heat and stir until the sugar dissolves. Bring the mixture to a boil and boil it for two minutes.
4. Remove the syrup from the heat and, while the mixer is running, slowly pour the hot syrup into the egg whites in a steady stream. You can transfer the mixture to a measuring cup with a spout to make it easier to pour, if desired. After all of the syrup has been poured into the whites, continue to beat the mixture until it has cooled to room temperature, about 5-7 minutes.
5. Once the mixture has cooled, fold in the whipped cream, chopped nuts, and chopped chocolate. Pour it into an airtight plastic container or other freezer-proof container, and place it in the freezer to firm up overnight.