Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
- 8 ounces dark chocolate, melted
- 3 large egg whites, room temperature
- 2-3/4 cups light corn syrup
- 1-1/3 cups granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1-1/2 tsp vanilla extract (or clear vanilla, for white nougat)
1. Prepare a square 8-inch pan by lining it with foil and spraying the foil with nonstick cooking spray.
2. Place the egg whites in a large mixing bowl but do not turn on yet.
3. Combine corn syrup, sugar and water in a large saucepan over medium heat. Boil mixture to 225 degrees (thread stage).
4. While mixture continues heating, turn mixer on and whip egg whites until stiff.
5. When the mixture reaches 240 degrees (soft ball stage), dip a measuring up in the hot syrup and remove ¾ cup. Turn the mixer speed to low, and stream the ¾ cup of hot syrup slowly into the egg whites.
6. Continue cooking the remaining syrup until it reaches 275 degrees (soft crack stage).
7. Turn the mixer speed to medium, and slowly stream in the remaining hot sugar syrup. Be very careful that you don’t get any on yourself—it can leave a nasty burn.
8. Once the candy is thoroughly mixed, turn the mixer off. Pour in the chocolate and vanilla and stir until smooth.
9. Pour the candy into the prepared pan. Allow to set overnight at room temperature.