Prep Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 10 minutes
- 6.5 cups cornflakes cereal
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup peanut butter
- 1 cup light corn syrup
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup chocolate chips
1. Prepare a 9x13 pan by lining it with aluminum foil and spraying the foil with nonstick cooking spray.
2. Place the cornflakes in a large bowl and lightly crush them with your hands for a minute, until they are small to medium-sized flakes.
3. Place the brown sugar, peanut butter, salt, and corn syrup in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Stir constantly, and heat the syrup until the sugar is melted and all of the ingredients are well-combined.
4. Remove the pan from the heat, and immediately pour the hot syrup over the cornflakes. Stir until the cereal is well-coated.
5. Pour the mixture into the prepared pan, and spread it evenly in the pan with a greased spoon or spatula, pressing down gently.
6. Allow the bars to cool at room temperature for about 30 minutes. Once they are mostly cool, microwave the chocolate in a microwave-safe bowl, stirring after every minute to prevent overheating. Once the chocolate is melted, spread it over the top of the bars in a thin, even layer.
7. Refrigerate the bars to set the chocolate, then cut them into small squares to serve. Bars can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for a week, and for several weeks in the refrigerator.