- 1.5 cups granulated sugar, divided use
- 4 cups warm water
- 4 cups mixed nuts, your choice
- 1/4 cup (2 oz, 4 tbsp) butter
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 tbsp chili powder
- zest from one lime
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp ground red pepper
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Prepare a baking sheet by lining it with aluminum foil and spraying the foil with nonstick cooking spray and set aside for now.
2. Place 1 cup of the sugar and 4 cups of warm water in a large bowl, stir until the sugar dissolves. Add the nuts to the water mixture and let them soak for 10 minutes.
3. After 10 minutes, drain the nuts, pat them dry with paper towels, and place them back in the large bowl.
4. Melt the butter in a medium bowl in the microwave. Stir the remaining ½ cup sugar, the honey, the chili powder, the lime zest, the salt, the cumin, and the red pepper into the butter and stir until well-combined. Pour the mixture over the nuts, and stir until they are evenly coated.
5. Spread the nuts in a single layer on the prepared baking sheet and baking in the 350 degree oven for 20 minutes, stirring after every 6 or 7 minutes so that they bake evenly.
6. After 20 minutes they will be a dark brown color and very fragrant. Remove from the oven and allow to cool at room temperature. Store Spicy Party Nuts in an airtight container at room temperature for up to a week. These do not keep as well in humid environments, as they become sticky after a day or two.