Yield: 32 small (1-inch) clusters
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup butterscotch chips, plus additional for decorating, if desired
- 1 cup salted peanuts, coarsely chopped
- 1.5 cups puffed rice cereal
1. Place the chocolate chips and 1 cup of butterscotch chips in a medium microwave-safe bowl, and microwave until melted. Stir the mixture after every 30 seconds to prevent it from overheating and burning.
2. Once the chips are melted and smooth, add the chopped nuts and the cereal to the chocolate mixture. Stir well until the add-ins are completely coated.
3. Use a teaspoon or a small candy scoop to drop spoonfuls of the mixture onto a foil- or waxed paper-lined baking sheet. You should get about 32 small clusters. Alternately, you can scoop the candy directly into candy cups placed on a baking sheet.
4. Place the tray of candy in the refrigerator to set the chocolate, for about 15 minutes. Once set, the candies can be drizzled with additional melted butterscotch chips for a final decorative touch, if desired. The chocolate in the clusters will start to get soft if left for long periods of time at warm room temperature, so these are best stored in the refrigerator for up to two weeks.