Prep Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 15 minutes
- 6.5 cups chocolate crisped rice cereal
- 1.5 tbsp powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup (4 tbsp) butter
- 4 cups (10 oz) miniature marshmallows
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup butterscotch chips
- 3/4 cup chocolate chips
- 15 miniature Tootsie Rolls
1. Prepare a 13x9 pan by lining it with aluminum foil and spraying the foil with nonstick cooking spray.
2. Place 1.5 cups of the cereal and the powdered sugar in a small bowl. Mix them together with your hands, slightly crumbling the cereal as you mix, until the cereal resembles dull gray pebbles.
3. Place the remaining 5 cups of cereal, the butterscotch chips and the chocolate chips in a very large bowl and mix until the chips are well-distributed.
4. Place the butter and marshmallows in a large microwave-safe bowl and microwave for one minute. Remove the bowl from the microwave and stir vigorously. If the marshmallows are not fully melted, microwave for an additional 30-45 seconds and stir again until the mixture is smooth and homogenous. Add the vanilla and stir briefly to incorporate it.
5. Working quickly, spoon the marshmallow mixture over the cereal and stir until the cereal and chips are evenly coated. The chips will begin to melt with the heat, so don’t let the candy sit too long in the bowl.
6. As soon as the candy is well-mixed, scrape it into the prepared pan. Spray your hands with nonstick cooking spray and pat the candy into an even layer. Sprinkle the top with the reserved cereal mixture so that it resembles dry kitty litter.
7. The last step is to make the fake droppings. Unwrap the Tootsie Rolls and place four or five on a plate. Microwave them for ten seconds to soften them. Once soft, work them between your hands until they are a satisfactory shape. Repeat with the remaining Tootsie Rolls, microwaving them for short amounts of time if they get too hard to work with.
8. Scatter the candy droppings on top of the kitty litter candy, and enjoy fooling your friends!