Prep Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 20 minutes
- 5 boards matzoh
- 1 cup (2 sticks) margarine
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1.5 cups semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup chopped, toasted almonds (optional)
1. Cover a baking sheet with aluminum foil, and spray the foil with nonstick cooking spray. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
2. Cover the baking sheet with a layer of matzoh crackers, breaking them up to fill in gaps if necessary.
3. Combine the margarine and brown sugar in a small saucepan over medium heat. Stir constantly until the sugar dissolves. Allow the mixture to come to a boil. Once it boils, keep it boiling for 3 more minutes.
4. Remove the mixture from the heat, and pour carefully over the matzoh. Use an offset spatula or a knife to smooth the top and ensure the sugar evenly covers the entire area.
5. Bake for 10-12 minutes, checking consistently to make sure the mixture does not brown too quickly. If it seems to be getting too dark around the edges, remove it.
6. Once out of the oven, sprinkle the chocolate chips over the top of the toffee layer and let it stand for several minutes, until the chocolate chips start melting. Use a spatula to spread the chocolate evenly over the surface.
7. If desired, sprinkle the nuts over the top and press gently to adhere while the chocolate is still wet.
8. Place in the refrigerator to cool. Break into pieces by hand once set.