Yield: about 25 small squares
- 1/2 cup light corn syrup (can substitute honey)
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup peanut butter
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 cups crispy rice cereal
- 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup plus 3 tbsp butterscotch chips
- 1 tsp vegetable oil
1. Prepare a 9x9 pan by lining it with aluminum foil and spraying the foil with nonstick cooking spray.
2. Place the corn syrup and the sugar in a medium saucepan over medium heat, and stir until the sugar dissolves. Bring the mixture to a boil.
3. Once it boils, remove it from the heat and add the peanut butter, stirring until it melts and is completely incorporated. Stir in the vanilla, and then add the crispy rice cereal. Stir until the cereal is coated with the peanut butter mixture.
4. Scrape the cereal into the prepared pan and press it into an even layer with a spatula or with your hands.
5. Place the chocolate chips and ½ cup of the butterscotch chips in a microwave-safe bowl, and microwave them until they’re entirely melted, stirring after every 30 seconds to prevent overheating.
6. Pour the melted chocolate-butterscotch mixture on top of the cereal, and spread it into an even layer.
7. In a small bowl melt the remaining 3 tbsp butterscotch chips and the vegetable oil together, until it is melted and smooth. Drizzle the melted butterscotch chips over the top of the chocolate.
8. Refrigerate the tray to set the chocolate, for about 25 minutes, or let it set overnight. When ready to serve, take the candy out of the pan using the foil as handles, and cut it into small squares.
9. Butterscotch Peanut Crispy Bars can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for up to a week.