- 3 large egg whites, room temperature
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tsp cornstarch
- 1 tsp coconut extract
- 1.5 cups sweetened shredded coconut, toasted
1. Preheat your oven to 250 degrees F/120 C. Prepare a baking sheet by lining it with aluminum foil and set aside for now.
2. Place the room temperature egg whites in the clean, dry bowl of a large stand mixer fitted with a whisk attachment. Alternately, you can use a hand mixer to whisk the white, but the beating might take more time.
3. Beat the whites until they hold soft peaks. While you are beating the whites, combine the sugar and the cornstarch in a small bowl. Once the whites are at soft peaks, begin slowly adding the sugar mixture, a spoonful or two at a time, until all the sugar in is in the whites. Beat until the sugar is glossy, very white, and holds firm peaks.
4. Using a spatula, gently fold in the coconut extract and the toasted shredded coconut. Pour the mixture onto the prepared baking pan, and spread it into a thin even layer between 1/4-1/2 inch thick.
5. Bake the meringue in the oven for an hour, until very dry to the touch. Let it cool completely at room temperature, then break it into small pieces by hand.
6. Store Coconut Meringue Bark in an airtight container at room temperature for up to a week.