Yield: 1 8x8 pan
- 6 oz (1 cup) butterscotch chips or peanut butter chips
- 1/4 cup peanut butter
- 4 cups crispy rice cereal
- 6 oz (1 cup) semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 tbsp cream
- 1 tbsp powdered sugar
1. Prepare an 8x8 pan by lining it with aluminum foil and spraying the foil with nonstick cooking spray.
2. Combine the butterscotch chips (or peanut butter chips, if that's what you're using) and the peanut butter in a microwave-safe bowl, and microwave it until the chips are melted and smooth. Stir after every 30 seconds to prevent the chips from overheating.
3. When the chips are melted, pour them over the 4 cups of crispy rice cereal in a big bowl. Stir until the cereal is completely coated with the peanut butter mixture.
4. Scrape half of the cereal into the prepared pan, and press it into an even layer in the bottom. Spray your hands with nonstick cooking spray or wet them with a little bit of water if they get too sticky.
5. Place the chocolate chips in a small bowl and melt those as well, stirring frequently. When they are completely melted and smooth, add the powdered sugar and cream. Adding the cream will cause the chocolate to seize, so from this point on you will need to work quickly. Stir until the chocolate clumps together—it should have the texture of thick fudge.
6. Scrape it out onto the layer of crispy rice in the pan, trying to spread it fairly evenly as you scrape. Use a knife or a spatula to press it into an even layer.
7. Pour the rest of the cereal mixture on top of the fudge layer, and press it into an even layer.
8. Refrigerate the candy until it is chilled, about 45 minutes.
9. Once chilled, remove the candy from the pan using the foil as handles. Use a large sharp knife to cut it into small squares or rectangles to serve. Store Crispy Fudge Sandwiches in an airtight container for up to two weeks.