This recipe can be easily scaled up or down. If you make a large quantity, it's easiest to do the food processing in smaller batches.
Yield: 2 cups Lemon Sugar
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 large lemon, preferably organic
1. Use a microplane to finely grate the zest off of the lemon. Alternately, use a zester or fine grater to remove the outer layer of yellow skin from the lemon, while leaving the white pith behind. If you've used a zester or grater, chop the zest as finely as possible with a knife.
2. Place the lemon zest and the sugar in the bowl of a food processor, and process them together for 10-15 seconds, until everything is well-mixed.
3. Spread the sugar in a thin layer out onto a baking sheet. Let it sit until dry, at least 2 hours or preferably overnight.
4. Once dry, pass the sugar through a strainer to work out any lumps. Store Lemon Sugar in an airtight container at room temperature for up to several months.