Yield: 2 cups Vanilla Sugar
- 3 cups granulated sugar
- 1 vanilla bean
1. Pour the granulated sugar into a bowl.
2. Using a sharp paring knife, split the vanilla bean lengthwise down the front, slicing through the top layer but leaving the bottom layer intact.
3. Spread the vanilla bean open so that the seeds are exposed. Use the back of the knife's blade (not the blade itself) to scrape down the center of the bean, removing the seeds. Place them in the bowl with the sugar.
4. Once the bean is fully scraped, use your hands to work the seeds into the sugar, making sure they're evenly dispersed.
5. Pour the vanilla sugar into a glass or plastic storage container with a tight-fitting lid. Add the scraped vanilla bean to the container as well, since it will help flavor the sugar.
6. Vanilla Sugar can be used immediately, or store indefinitely in a cool, dry pantry.