- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup dark corn syrup
- 3/4 cup almond butter
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3 cups Special K or other rice flakes cereal
- 1.5 cups (about 10 ounces) semi-sweet chocolate chips or chopped chocolate
- 1/4 cup slivered or sliced almonds, for decoration
1. Prepare an 8x8 pan by lining it with aluminum foil and spraying the foil with nonstick cooking spray. Place the cereal in a large heat-safe bowl.
2. Combine the sugar and the corn syrup in a small saucepan over medium-high heat. Stir until the sugar melts. Cook until the sugar is rapidly bubbling.
3. Add the almond butter and the salt to the sugar syrup and stir until well-combined. Pour this mixture over the cereal in the bowl and quickly stir until the cereal is coated. Scrape the cereal into the prepared pan and smooth it into an even layer. It will be very sticky, so it's important to work quickly while the candy is still warm and pliable.
4. Place the chocolate chips in a microwave-safe bowl and microwave until melted, stirring after every 45 seconds to prevent overheating.
5. Once the chocolate is melted, pour it over the cereal layer and spread it evenly to cover the entire pan. While the chocolate is still wet, press the sliced almonds into the top and press gently to adhere them to the chocolate. Refrigerate the candy to set the chocolate, for about 30 minutes.
6. Once the chocolate is set, remove the candy from the pan using the foil as handles. Cut it into small squares to serve. Almond Special K Bars are best eaten at room temperature, because the base gets quite hard when refrigerated. Store Almond Special K Bars in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to one week.