Prep Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
- 3 cups granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup light corn syrup
- 3/4 cup hot water
- 2 large egg whites, room temperature
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup chopped candied cherries, plus more for decorating if desired
1. Prepare a baking sheet by lining it with aluminum foil and spraying the foil with nonstick cooking spray.
2. Place the egg whites in a clean, dry large mixer bowl with a whisk attachment.
3. Combine the sugar, corn syrup and water in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Cook to 260 degrees (hard ball stage) and remove immediately from the heat.
4. At once, beat the egg whites until they form soft peaks. Slowly stream in the hot sugar mixture and gradually increase the speed of the mixer. Continue beating until the candy begins to lose its gloss and starts forming peaks.
5. Quickly add in cherries, vanilla, and salt.
6. Drop by the spoonful on prepared tray. Top with half of a candied cherry, if desired.
7. Cover and refrigerate until firm. Store refrigerated in an airtight container for 3-4 days.