- 1/2 stick (2 ounces) butter
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tbps dark brown sugar, packed
- 1/2 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 cup chopped toasted nuts, like walnuts or pecans
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- 3/4 cup instant (quick-cooking) oatmeal
- 1/4 cup wheat germ
- 1/6 cup honey
1. Prepare an 8x8 pan by lining it with aluminum foil and spraying the foil with nonstick cooking spray.
2. Place the butter and the brown sugar in a large microwave-safe bowl and microwave for 1 minute, or until melted. Stir until thoroughly combined.
3. Add the remaining ingredients to the melted butter/sugar mixture and stir until thoroughly coated and mixed. Microwave for two minutes, then stir well.
4. Microwave for an additional two minutes. If the mixture is fragrant and bubbling by this point, remove it from the microwave. If it is not bubbling, continue to microwave in one-minute increments until it bubbles.
5. Scrape the candy into the prepared pan and smooth it into an even layer. While still warm, score into small squares with a sharp knife. Allow to cool completely at room temperature or in the refrigerator.
6. Once cool, remove it from the pan using the foil as handles. Cut it into squares using the scored lines as guidelines, and serve at room temperature.