- 1/4 cup (2 oz) butter
- 18 large marshmallows (4.3 ounces)
- 3 large Milky Way bars (about 2 ounces each), finely chopped
- 2.5 cups crispy rice or cocoa crispy rice cereal
- 12 ounces chocolate or chocolate-flavored candy coating
1. Prepare a baking sheet by lining it with aluminum foil and set aside for now.
2. Place the butter and the marshmallows in a large microwave-safe bowl, and microwave for one minute. Remove the bowl from the microwave and stir until the marshmallows melt. If they are not quite melted, microwave for another 15-20 seconds, then stir until the mixture is melted and liquidy.
3. Add the chopped Milky Way bars and stir until they are mostly melted. Microwave for an additional 10-20 seconds to fully melt the candy bars, then stir until the mixture is homogenous. It will be somewhat stiff.
4. Quickly add the cereal and work it into the marshmallow mixture. Use a stiff wooden spoon or spatula, as it might be difficult to fully incorporate the cereal.
5. Once mixed, scoop small balls of the candy and roll them between your hands to get them round. Place them on the prepared baking sheet. Once cool, the balls can be eaten as-is, rolled in powdered sugar or cocoa powder, or dipped in chocolate.
6. To dip them in chocolate, melt the chocolate or chocolate-flavored candy coating in the microwave, stirring until smooth. Using dipping tools or two forks, dip a Milky Way ball in to the melted chocolate until it is completely submerged. Remove it from the chocolate and let the excess drip back into the bowl. Place it back on the baking sheet and repeat with remaining candy. If you have extra melted chocolate left over, you can place it in a plastic bag, snip off the corner, and drizzle melted chocolate on top of the dipped candies in a decorative pattern.
7. Place the tray in the refrigerator to set the chocolate, for about 15 minutes. Milky Way Balls can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for up to a week.