De la Rosa and Kraft Jet-Puffed are two companies that make strawberry marshmallows. If you cannot find strawberry, you can substitute any other flavored marshmallow you can find, but your treats will not have the signature flavors of Neapolitan desserts.
- 1.5 tbsp butter
- 1/4 cup white chocolate chips
- 5 ounces (3.25 cups) miniature marshmallows
- 3 cups crisped rice cereal
- 5 extra-large or 10 regular pink strawberry marshmallows
- 1.25 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1/3 cup cream
1. Prepare a 9x9 pan by lining it with aluminum foil and spraying the foil with nonstick cooking spray. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
2. In a large, microwave-safe bowl, place the butter and the white chocolate. Microwave until melted, stirring after every 30 seconds to prevent overheating. Once melted, add the miniature marshmallows and microwave in 40-second intervals until the marshmallows are melted. Stir until the mixture is completely smooth.
3. Immediately add the rice cereal and stir to coat the cereal. Pour the cereal into the prepared pan and gently press down to spread it into an even layer.
4. Use kitchen shears or a sharp knife to cut the pink marshmallows crosswise into rounds slightly thicker than ¼ inch. Place the rounds, cut side up, on top of the cereal mixture in the pan. Place them closely together so that the sides touch, but don’t worry about the small gaps that are left.
5. Put the pan in the preheated oven for 2 minutes. After two minutes, remove it and spray a knife or offset spatula with cooking spray. Use the knife or spatula to spread the marshmallows in an even layer, covering any holes that were between the rounds. If the marshmallows do not evenly spread, return the pan to the oven for another minute to soften and expand them further. Do not cook them for too long, however, as they will puff up and develop an unpleasant skin on top.
6. Once the marshmallows are spread into an even layer, set the pan aside to prepare the chocolate topping. Place the chocolate chips in a heat-safe bowl, and put the cream in a small saucepan over medium-high heat.
7. Bring the cream to a simmer, but do not allow it to boil. Once it simmers, remove it from the heat and pour the hot cream over the chocolate chips. Allow it to sit for a minute to soften the chocolate, then whisk the cream and chocolate together until the mixture is smooth and homogenous.
8. Pour the chocolate over the pink marshmallow layer, and spread it into an even layer. Refrigerate the bars to set the chocolate for at least one hour.
9. Once set, remove the bars from the pan using the foil as handles. Cut the bars into small 1-inch pieces to serve. Neapolitan Crispy Treats can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to two weeks. Bring them to room temperature to serve.