- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 3/4 cup (6 oz) butter
- 2/3 cup evaporated milk
- pinch salt
- 3 cups granulated sugar
- 2 cups marshmallow cream
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup powdered sugar, sifted
- 2 tsp apple pie spice (or a mixture of cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves)
- 1.5 cups chopped, toasted pecans or walnuts (optional)
1. Prepare a 9x9 pan by lining it with aluminum foil and spraying the foil with nonstick cooking spray.
2. Place the applesauce, butter, evaporated milk, salt, and granulated sugar in a medium-large saucepan over medium-high heat and bring to a boil, stirring constantly.
3. Once boiling, insert a candy thermometer and continue to cook, stirring constantly to prevent scorching, until it reaches 235 degrees F.
4. Once at the proper temperature, remove the saucepan from the heat and stir in the marshmallow cream, vanilla, sifted powdered sugar, apple pie spice, and nuts. Stir until all ingredients are well-incorporated and the fudge is smooth.
5. Scrape the fudge into the prepared pan and smooth it into an even layer. Allow it to set at room temperature for several hours, or one hour in the refrigerator.
6. Cut the fudge into small 1-inch squares to serve. Applesauce Fudge can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for up to a week.