- 3/4 cup banana chips, divided use
- 3/4 cup roasted, salted cashews, divided use
- 1 tsp banana extract/flavoring
- 1.25 cups packed brown sugar
- 2 tbsp water
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- 2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
1. Prepare a baking sheet by lining it with aluminum foil and spraying the foil with nonstick cooking spray.
2. Take 1/4 cup of banana chips and 1/4 cup of cashews and coarsely chop them with a large knife until they are in small chunks. Set them aside for now. Have the vanilla extract, banana extract, and baking soda ready to use.
3. In a medium heavy-bottomed saucepan over medium heat, combine the brown sugar, water, and butter. Stir until the butter melts and the sugar dissolves, then brush down the sides of the pan with a wet pastry brush to prevent sugar crystals from forming.
4. Insert a candy thermometer and bring the mixture to a boil. Continue to cook, without stirring, until the candy reaches 290 degrees. Once at 290, remove the saucepan from the heat. Immediately stir in the baking soda, vanilla extract, banana extract, and the coarsely chopped cashews and banana chips.
5. Immediately pour the mixture onto the prepared baking sheet and smooth it into a thin, even layer. Allow it to cool for a few minutes. Once it has begun to set but is still very warm, sprinkle one cup of chocolate chips over the top of the toffee and allow them to sit for a few minutes to soften and melt the chocolate.
6. While the chocolate is melting, prepare the nut and banana topping. Place the remaining 1/2 cup of cashews and 1/2 cup of banana chips in the bowl of a food processor and process them in short pulses until they are finely chopped.
7. Use an offset spatula or knife to spread the softened chocolate chips into an even layer over the toffee. While the chocolate is still soft, sprinkle half of the finely chopped banana and cashew mixture over the top. Press gently to adhere it to the chocolate. Place the toffee in the refrigerator to fully set the toffee and chocolate, about 30 minutes.
8. Once the toffee and chocolate are fully set, carefully peel it off of the foil baking and flip it upside-down, so that the bottom is now face-up. Melt the remaining 1 cup of chocolate chips in a small microwave-safe bowl, and spread the melted chocolate on top of the toffee. Sprinkle the remaining cashew and banana mixture on top of the chocolate, and press it into the chocolate. Return the toffee to the refrigerator to set the chocolate, about 20 minutes.
9. Once the chocolate is fully set, carefully break the toffee into small pieces by hand. Store the toffee in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to two weeks.