Prep Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 15 minutes
- 12 ounces semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup applesauce
- 1 tsp almond extract
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 2/3 cup chopped dried cranberries
- 1.5 cup chopped walnuts, divided
1. Place the chocolate chips, applesauce, and almond extract in a large microwave-safe bowl and microwave until the chocolate is melted, stirring after every minute to prevent overheating. (Alternately, you can melt the mixture on the stovetop over a double boiler).
2. Once the chocolate is melted, stir until the mixture is smooth. Add the powdered sugar, dried cranberries, and 1 cup of nuts, and stir until well-mixed. Place the candy in the refrigerator until firm enough to shape, about 1 hour.
3. Using a teaspoon, scoop up small amounts of the candy and roll it into balls between your palms. Place the remaining 1/2 cup chopped nuts in a small bowl, and roll the balls in the nuts to coat them.
4. Store the fruit and nuts balls in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to one week. Bring to room temperature before serving.