To crush the wafers, you can either use a blender or food processor, or place them in a large Ziploc bag and crush them with a rolling pin. Be sure that the cookies are in small crumbs, not large chunks. This recipe yields approximately 30 candies.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 20 minutes
- 1 cup chocolate chips or chopped chocolate
- 3 tbsp light corn syrup
- 1/2 cup rum
- 2.5 cups crushed wafers (about one 10-ounce box)
- 1 cup powdered sugar, divided
- 1 cup finely chopped nuts
1. Place the chocolate in a large microwave-safe bowl and microwave until melted, stirring after every 45 seconds to prevent overheating.
2. Once the chocolate is melted, add the corn syrup and rum and stir until well-combined. Stir in the wafer crumbs, 1/2 cup powdered sugar, and chopped nuts. Place the mixture in the refrigerator until it is firm enough to shape, about 1 hour.
3. Using a teaspoon, roll the candy into small balls between your palms. Place the remaining 1/2 cup powdered sugar in a small bowl, and roll the balls in the sugar. (Alternately, the balls can be rolled in chopped nuts or cocoa powder).
4. Place the rum balls in an airtight container and refrigerate them to age them for several days. Rum balls can be stored for an additional 2-3 weeks, and many people feel they are better the longer they are aged, so they are a great make-ahead treat. Store the balls in the refrigerator, and let them come to room temperature before serving.